Debian Project News - July 1st, 2019
Welcome to this year's first issue of DPN, the newsletter for the Debian community. Topics covered in this issue include:
We hope that you enjoy this edition of DPN.
At the end of this Project News we've added a Quick Links section which links to a selection of the posts made through our other media streams.
- Welcome to the Debian Project News!
- Security Advisories
- Internal News
- Help needed
- More than just code
- Code, coders, and contributors
- Outside News
- Quick Links from Debian Social Media
- Want to continue reading DPN?
Updated Debian 9: 9.9 released
News on Debian
Buster started its
freeze in January and entered its
full freeze on 12 March 2019.
among a total of eleven submissions.
In April, Sam Hartman was elected as the new Debian Project Leader. Sam has already posted several monthly updates on his work as DPL, for April and May. Sam also guided a discussion and consensus call on whether Debian wants to increase the strength of its recommendation of the dh sequencer from debhelper. Details and conclusions about this can be read in his mail "Requiring Debhelper's dh in Some Circumstances".
MiniDebConf Marseille 2019
A miniDebConf took place in Marseille (France) from 25 to 26 May, with two days of talks, a keysigning party, and more. Thanks to the wonderful video team, all talks are available online. On Friday May 24th, the Debian French translation team held a sprint.
MiniDebConf Hamburg 2019
After a three-day MiniDebCamp, a miniDebConf took place in Hamburg (Germany) from 8 to 9 June. In case you missed it, the mighty video team has you covered and published all the recorded talks. The MiniDebCamp hosted sprints for the DebConf19 team, the Reproducible Builds team, the Debian Perl group, Debian Edu and the Salsa CI team.
Following the two events already mentioned, there is one additional MiniDebConf scheduled in the coming months, reflecting the vitality of our community. Organized by Debian project members, MiniDebConfs are open to everyone and provide an opportunity for developers, contributors and other interested people to meet in person.
MiniDebConf Vaumarcus 2019
From 25 to 27 October, a miniDebConf will take place in Vaumarcus' LeCamp, (Switzerland), the Debconf13' venue. Visit the wiki page of the event where you can get all the details, or follow the organisation of the event on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list, if you want to help.
A glimpse at Curitiba DebConf19's program
Preparations are almost completed for DebConf19 which will be held in Curitiba (Brazil) from July 21st to 28th 2019. It will be preceded by a six days Debcamp from July 14th to 19th. About 50 talks, more than 15 short talks, about 30 BOFs ("Birds of a Feather" discussions), and a Workshop has been approved and scheduled.
As usual, a lot of sponsors have decided to bring their support to the Debian conference. With their help, and the quality of the DebConf Team's investment, all the conditions are gathered to make this event a success. Welcome to Curitiba, every thing is ready, including the official DebConf Cheese and Wine party!
The Debian Web team held a sprint in Madrid (Spain) from March 15th to March 17th, 2019. They discussed the status of the Debian website in general, reviewed several important pages and sections and agreed on how to improve them. They have reported their progress and started to reorganise the homepage and the download section.
Gregory Colpart shared his report about the organization of MiniDebConf Marseille.
Laura Arjona Reina shared her report of her attendance at the MiniDebConf Marseille.
The Debian French translation team recently published the report (in French) of their sprint during MiniDebConf Marseille.
LTS Freexian Monthly Reports
Freexian issues monthly reports about the work of paid contributors to Debian Long Term Support.
Reproducible Builds status update
Follow the Reproducible
Builds blog to get the weekly reports on their work in the
Packages needing help:
Debian has a
newcomer bug tag, used to indicate bugs which are suitable for new
contributors to use as an entry point to working on specific packages.
There are currently 224
bugs available tagged
Thomas Goirand details the OpenStack-cluster-installer in Buster. The OCI (OpenStack Cluster Installer) package sets up and provisions an OpenStack cluster using a Debian live system image. The OCI process installs and configures services and components as needed per server roles in the cluster.
Benjamin Mako Hill shared Research on How Anonymity is Perceived in Open Collaboration. The paper written by Benjamin, Nora McDonald, Rachel Greenstadt, and Andrea Forte studies how open collaboration projects can balance the threats of bad behavior with the goal of respecting contributors’ expectations of privacy.
Lucas Nussbaum introduced his work on setting up a framework to graph Debian historical package trends. Lucas delved further into the data with an analysis of package smells (characteristics in source code which indicate deeper issues or weaknesses in design).
Birger Schacht shared the steps used to Install Debian with Encrypted Boot using GRML.
New Package MaintainersPlease welcome: Cyrille Bollu, Calum Lind, Esteban Bosse, Shivani Bhardwaj, Jochen Sprickerhof, Mészáros Mihály, Alexandre Marie, Utkarsh Gupta, Robin Krahl, Adam Saponara, Sebastien Chavaux, Guillaume Brochu, Thomas Perret, Sven Geuer, Renzo Davoli, Calogero Lo Leggio, Kees Cook, Torsten Paul, Jozsef Nagy, Dominik Klein, Markus Demleitner, Kun-Hung Tsai (蔡昆宏), Ricardo Ribalda Delgado, Samuel Karp, Louis-Philippe Véronneau, Bastian Germann, Maxime Schmitt, Hanno Stock, Felix Yan, Kristian Nielsen, David Hart, Marc Bigler, Mathieu Mirmont, Andrej Shadura, Emmanuel Arias, José Antonio Jiménez Madrid, Romain Perier, Saira Hussain, Julio Merino, Joyce Zhou, Moshe Piekarski, Gabriele N. Tornetta, Anoop M S, Yashika Dharshini, Dawid Dziurla, Antoni Villalonga, Meenakshi Aiswarya, Olivier Tilloy, Jeremy Oden, Karolis Kalantojus, Shree Dhanya, Aman Verma, Glenn Strauss, Cyril de Bourgues, Jeya Sree, Sweta, Amrithaa.T.J, Alcina Sharon, Sakshi Sangwan, Meenakshi, Valentin Gutierrez, Andreas Misje, Andre Noll, Lluis Campos, Samyak Jain, Shreyas Bapat, Micha David Rosenbaum, Marcos Vinicius Scherer, Nilesh, Jeremy Sowden, Sahid Orentino Ferdjaoui, Nguyen Hoang Tung.
New Debian MaintainersPlease welcome: Nicolas Mora, Wolfgang Silbermayr, Marcos Fouces, kpcyrd, Scott Martin Leggett, Romain Perier, Felix Yan, Christian Ehrhardt, Aniol Marti, Utkarsh Gupta, Nicolas Schier, Stewart Ferguson, Hilmar Preusse, Bobby de Vos, Jongmin Kim, Francesco Poli, Bastian Germann.
New Debian DevelopersPlease welcome: Abhijith PA, Philippe Thierry, Kai-Chung Yan, Simon Quigley, Daniele Tricoli, Molly de Blanc, Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana, Unit 193, Marcio de Souza Oliveira, Ross Vandegrift, Jean-Baptiste Favre, Andrius Merkys, Norbert Preining, Taowa Munene-Tardif, Jean-Philippe Mengual, Kyle Robbertze, Georg Faerber, Andy Li, Sruthi Chandran, Michal Arbet, Alban Vidal, Jakob Haufe, Denis Briand.
1322 people and 9 teams are currently listed on the Debian Contributors page for 2019.
- Source files: 11,727,817
- Source packages: 29,004
- Disk usage: 257,158,116 kB
- Ctags: 9,644,189
- Source lines of code: 1,039,560,642
- Source files: 14,026,380
- Source packages: 30,825
- Disk usage: 293,507,540 kB
- Ctags: 14,468,089
- Source lines of code: 1,210,912,399
Release Critical Bug Report for Week 26/2019
The bug webinterface of the Ultimate Debian Database currently knows about the following release critical bugs:
|Remaining to be fixed in Buster:||58|
Of these 58 bugs, the following tags are set:
|Pending in Buster:||1|
|Patched in Buster:||15|
|Duplicates in Buster:||6|
|Can be fixed in a security Update:||8|
|Contrib or non-free in Buster:||0|
|Claimed in Buster:||0|
|Delayed in Buster:||0|
|Otherwise fixed in Buster:||8|
Ignoring all the above (multiple tags possible) 35 bugs need to be fixed by Debian Contributors to get Debian 10.0
However, with the view of the Release Managers, 50 need to be dealt with for the release to happen.
Once upon a time in Debian:
- 2001-07-02 to 2001-07-05 DebConf1, in Bordeaux, France
- 2013-07-02 Source browser service available
- 2016-07-02 to 2016-07-09 DebConf16 in Cape Town, South Africa
- 2003-07-04 Debian Bug #200000 reported by Michel Grentzinger
- 2000-07-05 to 2000-07-09 First Debconf (0), in Bordeaux, France
- 2005-07-05 gcc 4.0 default compiler in unstable
Distribution roundtable discussion with the @Debian, @elementary and @Fedora Project Leaders
Bryan Lunduke of Linux Journal published in a paper intitled
The State of
Desktop Linux 2019, a roundtable
discussion with the @Debian, @elementary and @Fedora Project Leaders after a short comparison of data from about
ten Linux distributions. They discuss about their distribution, the model of
their project and how they see the future for their distribution and, more
generally, for the FOSS.
This is an extract from the micronews.debian.org feed, in which we have removed the topics already commented on in this DPN issue. You can skip this section if you already follow micronews.debian.org or the @debian profile in a social network (Pump.io, GNU Social, Mastodon or Twitter). The items are provided unformatted in descending order by date (recent news at the top).
- Diversity and inclusion in Debian: small actions and large impacts https://bits.debian.org/2019/06/diversity-and-inclusion.html
- In support of #pridemonth, Debian changes its website logo. The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone https://www.debian.org/intro/diversity
- 100 Paper cuts kick-off https://bits.debian.org/2019/06/100-papercuts-kickoff.html
- #DebConf19 welcomes its sponsors! https://bits.debian.org/2019/06/debconf19-welcomes-sponsors.html
- Misc Developer News (#48) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/05/msg00002.html
- There will be a Debian meetup in Bordeaux(FR) on Thursday 27th June 2019 with #DebianFrance team. Join us! https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/fr/2019/Meetup1
- Debian welcomes its #GSoC2019 and #Outreachy interns https://bits.debian.org/2019/05/welcome-gsoc2019-and-outreachy-interns.html
- Next 03 June 2019 at 12:00 UTC join us via IRC for an introduction to Debian Edu, ask anything you ever wanted to know about this project! https://bits.debian.org/2019/05/ask-debian-edu-anything.html
- There will be a Debian booth in #PSES2019 near Paris from 27th to 30th June with #DebianFrance team. Come to greet us! https://passageenseine.fr
- Congratulations to @Debian developer @simonmcvittie who has been shortlisted for a UK @opensourceaward! #UKOSA https://opensourceawards.org/the-shortlist/
- Lenovo Platinum Sponsor of DebConf19 https://bits.debian.org/2019/05/lenovo-platinum-debconf19.html
- Debian Edu / Skolelinux sprint at MiniDebConf Hamburg, June 5th to 9th, inviting interested (educational) users https://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2019/05/msg00002.html
- Debian Buster and Wayland https://jmtd.net/log/buster_wayland/
- New DDs and DMs in March and April 2019. Congratulations! https://bits.debian.org/2019/05/new-developers-2019-04.html
- Next 10 May 2019 at 10:00 UTC join us via IRC for an introduction to the new Debian Project Leader, ask him anything! https://bits.debian.org/2019/04/ask-dpl-anything.html
- Firefox cert expired, disabling all the addons is fixed in firefox 66.0.4 (sid) and firefox-esr 60.6.2 (buster, stretch and jessie)
- DebConf 19 CFP deadline extension, and content team office hours https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/04/msg00009.html #DebConf19
- Introduction to the new DPL, ask him anything! https://bits.debian.org/2019/04/ask-dpl-anything.html
- "An overview of Secure Boot in Debian" by Cyril Brulebois https://debamax.com/blog/2019/04/19/an-overview-of-secure-boot-in-debian
- Upcoming Bug Squashing Party in Toronto, Canada this weekend 4/27/2019. See you there! #Debian #DebianBSP https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/04/ca/Toronto
- Bits from the Diversity Team https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/04/msg00005.html
- Bursary applications for #DebConf19 are closing in less than 72 hours! https://bits.debian.org/2019/04/debconf19-bursaries-last-call.html
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Salzburg, Austria https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/04/Salzburg #BSP
- Share your plans for DebCamp19 https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/04/msg00000.html
- The Debian Project mourns the loss of Innocent de Marchi https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190331
- Bits from @lolamby, the @Debian Project Leader (March 2019) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/03/msg00012.html
- Contact the DebConf19 organisation team with your questions about Brazil and DebConf19 http://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/contact-the-debconf19-organisation-team-with-your-questions-about-brazil-and-debconf19
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Paris, France https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/03/fr/Paris #BSP
- Handshake donates $300,000 USD to Debian https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190329
- Debian is welcoming applicants for #Outreachy and #GSoC 2019 https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/call-for-applicants-outreachy-gsoc-2019.html
- Call for Proposals: #Debconf19, Curitiba, Brazil https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/debconf19-cfp.html
- Google Platinum Sponsor of DebConf19 https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/google-platinum-debconf19.html
- Removal of #Wheezy and #Jessie (except #LTS) from mirrors https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/03/msg00006.html
- #DebConf19 inscrições abertas! https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/debconf19-open-registration-bursary-pt-BR.html
- #DebConf19 registration is open! https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/debconf19-open-registration-bursary.html
- #DebConf20 will be in Haifa, Israel https://lists.debian.org/debconf-announce/2019/03/msg00000.html
- Invitation for Debian presence at the 6th edition of OSCAL (Open Source Conference Albania) May 2019: Call for proposals and booths is open https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2019/03/msg00009.html #OSCAL2019
- New Debian Developers and Maintainers (January and February 2019) https://bits.debian.org/2019/03/new-developers-2019-02.html
- Today we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Portland, USA https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/03/US/Portland #BSP
- Today we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in #DebUtsavDelhi India https://lists.debian.org/debian-events-apac/2019/03/msg00000.html #BSP
- Tonight we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in #SCaLE17x (Southern California Linux Expo) https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/17x/presentations/debian-bug-squashing-party #BSP
- Meet Debian people and learn about #FOSS this weekend at #DebUtsavDelhi in India https://debutsav.in/
- The Debian Project mourns the loss of Lucy Wayland https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190308
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Cambridge, UK https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/03/gb/Cambridge #BSP
- Bits from the @Debian Project Leader (February 2019) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/02/msg00010.html
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Bonn, Germany https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/02/de/Bonn #BSP
- Debian, along with 30+ organizations, recently signed the Affirmation of the Open Source Definition. https://opensource.org/node/966 #opensource #freesoftware
- Infomaniak Platinum Sponsor of DebConf19 https://bits.debian.org/2019/02/infomaniak-platinum-debconf19.html
- India Linux Users Group Delhi @ilugdelhi, Mozilla Delhi/NCR @mozilladelhincr and Debian Enthusiasts are organizing DebUtsav Delhi on March 9th and 10th, 2019 - Call for proposals open until Feb 25th https://lists.debian.org/debian-events-apac/2019/02/msg00000.html
- Debian sends love and thanks to all the contributors and communities that build, create, and embody the principles of Free Software. #ilovefs #freesoftware
- The next DIY #MiniDebCamp starts in two weeks in Laveno, Italy https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/it/2019/SnowCamp #SnowCamp
- Debian Trademark Team — call for volunteers https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/02/msg00005.html
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Bratislava, Slovakia https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/02/sk/Bratislava #BSP
- This weekend we have a #Debian Bug Squashing #Party in Berlin, Germany https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/02/de/Berlin #BSP
- Projects and mentors for Debian's Google Summer of Code 2019 and Outreachy https://bits.debian.org/2019/02/project-and-mentors-gsoc-2019-outreachy.html
- "DebConf Videoteam sprint @ FOSDEM report" by Louis-Philippe Véronneau https://veronneau.org/debconf-videoteam-sprint-fosdem-report.html
- Bits from the @Debian Project Leader (January 2019) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/01/msg00010.html
- Meet us at the Debian Booth at @FOSDEM this weekend https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/be/2019/FOSDEM
- This weekend we have a Debian Bug Squashing Party in Austin, Texas https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/01/us/Austin #Debian #BSP #Party
- Important APT security update - please read the instructions to upgrade APT safely https://www.debian.org/security/2019/dsa-4371
- This weekend we have a Debian Bugsquashing Party in Venlo https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/01/nl/Venlo #Debian #BSP #Party
- #DebConf19 is looking for sponsors! https://bits.debian.org/2019/01/debconf19-looking-for-sponsors.html
- Call for testing Secure Boot with @Debian unstable https://henrich-on-debian.blogspot.com/2019/01/call-for-tester-to-brave-unstable-user.html
- Bits from the @Debian Project Leader (December 2018) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/12/msg00006.html
- We wish happy holidays to all Debian contributors, Open Source enthusiasts and to the rest of the world. Have a few relaxing days.
- "Debian is back in the Mastodon/GNU Social fediverse, follow fosstodon.org/@debian" by Laura Arjona Reina https://larjona.wordpress.com/2018/12/21/debian-is-back-in-the-mastodon-gnu-social-fediverse-follow-fosstodon-org-debian/
- Time to plan for joining us during DebConf19! Visit the DebConf19 website and learn about details, get involved in its organisation, or sponsor https://debconf19.debconf.org/ #DebConf #DebConf19
- Bug Squashing Party in Montréal, Canada in January https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2019/01/ca/Montreal
- Debian Cloud Sprint 2018 https://bits.debian.org/2018/12/debian-cloud-sprint-2018.html
- Debian Med Bug Squashing Advent Calendar 2018 https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2018/11/msg00059.html
Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers to watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at email@example.com.
Subscribe or Unsubscribe from the Debian News mailing list
To receive this newsletter in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Project News was edited by The Publicity Team with contributions from Laura Arjona Reina, Jean-Pierre Giraud, Donald Norwood and Thomas Vincent.